February 1, 2011

Australia Day - 26th January

Happy Australia Day!

Sadly no public holiday for me, so to celebrate Australia Day I took lamingtons and vegemite sandwiches to school for the staff - The lamingtons were an absolute hit (who said I can't cook) and well the vegemite sandwiches weren't disliked completely but weren't loved either. I will admit to starting my day with vegemite on toast followed by a lamington with my cup of tea ... yes for breakfast! (I needed to make sure they were still ok to take to work :-)

That night I headed into downtown Toronto to meet up with Emma for dinner and drinks to celebrate!  We found ourselves at a great pub/ restaurant called Jack Astors where we had a wonderful steak, washed down with a lovely Canadian beer!  Funnily enough our waitress was Australian and just as excited as we were, she was so great and gave us complimentary mud cake for dessert ... complete with sparklers to celebrate.

A great way to spend Australia day when you're far from home!


Getting all patriotic :-)

Emma and I waiting for our steaks.... with a good Canadian beer!



Our Australian waitress gave us complimentary dessert, complete with sparklers to celebrate!


How good do my lamingtons look - believe me they tasted just as good :-)

No comments: